Thursday, August 18, 2011

Love or Money

I want to share something very romantic I saw this week, but in doing so I have to confess my obsession with trashy reality TV.  I did get rid of my TV recently but didn’t get rid of my friends that still own them.  So Monday night I went over to one of those friend’s houses and watched Bachelor Pad with two other single female friends.  Midway through we realized this was going to be two hours of our life we would never get back but were glued to the ridiculous behavior anyway.

The Bachelor Pad cast is basically made up of rejects from previous The Bachelor and The Bachelorette seasons.  I wasn’t going to get caught up in it but I just couldn’t resist the previews of Jake and Vienna going at each other.  I watch these shows and pretend they are chick flick movies instead of real people living out the intimate details of their love story in front of a national audience--which includes their parents!

The final minutes of last Monday’s Bachelor Pad episode shows a sweet, lovable, albeit a “deer in the headlights” kind of guy, Ames, choosing love over money.  Jackie, a girl he was falling for on the show, got voted off.  While walking back to the cast after kissing her goodbye, he suddenly stops, waves goodbye to everyone and takes off running after her limo.  He jumps in, like her knight in shining armor, and shows her that she is more important than the chance of winning $250,000.

I threw my hands up in the air and screamed, “Yea Ames.  Go Jackie.”  It was close to the feeling I get watching Richard Gere, decked out in his dress whites, marching into the factory to carry off Debra Winger at the end of An Officer and a Gentleman.  “Way to go, Paula.”

I have had some grand romantic gestures in my day but it has been a while.  So I shall live vicariously through Ames and Jackie, closely watching their relationship blossom by google-ing them from time to time.

Please don’t think less of me.  I also read.

Question:  Is trashy reality TV one of your guilty pleasures?

No comments: