Monday, May 9, 2011

The Mother of all Holidays

My mom and her 3 daughters.  I'm the cute one on her lap.
 I almost made it through today without someone wishing me a Happy Mother’s Day.  But alas, the well wishing came anyway.  FYI, I’m not a mother.

You don’t need to wish a single woman with no children a Happy Mother’s Day.  It’s just not necessary.  It would be like wishing me a Happy Hanukkah.  Again, not necessary.

People tell me that since I was a nanny, children’s minister and teacher, I’ve played an important role in the lives of hundreds of children.  I know that to be true, but it still doesn’t make me a mother.  And that’s okay; really it is.

It would have been wonderful to get married and have a family, but my life went down a different road.  Thankfully, I never heard the ticking of the proverbial biological clock.  I take that as God’s confirmation that he had other plans for me. 

So next year, please don’t feel pressured to wish me a Happy Mother’s Day.  You can just smile and say, “Hey, you are looking fabulous today.”  And then I can say, “That’s because I don’t have any children.”  J
 
Question:  How did you spend Mother’s Day?

2 comments:

wendy said...

I don't like to be wished a happy Mother's Day either. Someone at church told Phil he should just buy a Mother's Day card anyway and cross out the word Mother on the front. So Happy Day it is! We were invited to the Marquez's house for dinner and we watched some crazy show called Swamp People Catching Alligators or something like that. And I called my mom and told her I loved her.

Dana said...

Happy Day to you...That is soooo silly! XO