Thursday, May 5, 2011

Flying Solo

We have a nice young man subbing in the 4th grade class at school this week.  He is among the hundreds of new graduates hoping to find a teaching job in an era of extreme educational layoffs.  But since he is single, he has more options available to him than his fellow married teacher candidates.  He can easily up and move to teach anywhere in the world if he wants to. 
Class at Crossroads English School in Pampady, India
I gave him a folder I’ve been saving full of pamphlets of agencies for teaching abroad.   Our conversation reminded me of the positives a single life can bring.  We are free to take advantage of opportunities that arise and not worry about it affecting our kid’s little league schedule or spouse’s promotion at work.  Adventure is an easily packed suitcase away.   
    

However, that kind of freedom is a tradeoff for having someone to go on the journey with you.   While being unencumbered let’s you jump at a moment’s notice, it also leaves you jumping alone.  I’ve been jumping alone for quite some time now.   There have been times where I preferred going solo and then there were times where having a partner to catch me when I fell would have been nice.

Not Mr. Right!
Either way, I’d rather jump alone than not jump at all.  You miss out on way too much in life waiting for someone to join you.  Do it.  Don’t live with regrets. 

This young man may go for it.  I mentioned to him that, while teaching abroad, he might even find a likeminded young female teacher he could build a life with.  Since I’m his mother’s age, he’s not an option for me, but 25 years ago it would have been fun to have someone like him to jump with.     

Fellow Teachers
I have visited schools in Africa and India, but the timing never seemed right for me to pursue an overseas music teaching career full-time.  Who knows though, maybe someday I will make it back and teach those lovely children what the little black dots on a sheet of music are called.  In the meantime, I will continue jumping solo and being the most fabulous single gal there ever was!

These pictures are from a 2005 trip to India. 

Question:  Are you the type that, if your circumstances allowed, you would “jump at a moment’s notice” for some great opportunity or adventure? 

No comments: