Tuesday, April 1, 2014

TUESDAY TUNES: "Tim McGraw" by Taylor Swift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkD20ajVxnY

This post may seem rather arrogant since I’m getting ready to re-write an award winning singer-songwriter’s song, but it must be done.  The chorus of Taylor Swift’s song, “Tim McGraw,” could be so much better with just a few simple tweaks. 

As a whole, I love Taylor’s lyrics.  She writes in such a fashion that takes this middle aged broad back to her high school years and memories of young love in the same way a whiff of Avon’s Sweet Honesty perfume does.  Even though it is one of her first hits, Taylor paints a picture like a pro with this song and the verses are spot on. It’s just the stinking chorus that drives me insane every unbearably monotonous time I hear it!!

Here are her original lyrics:

But when you think Tim McGraw
I hope you think my favorite song
The one we danced to all night long
The moon like a spotlight on the lake
When you think happiness
I hope you think that little black dress
Think of my head on your chest
And my old faded blue jeans
When you think Tim McGraw
I hope you think of me

Here are my changes:

But when you HEAR Tim McGraw
I hope you SING my favorite song
The one we danced to all night long
The moon like a spotlight on the lake
When you FEEL happiness
I hope you SEE that little black dress
PICTURE my head on your chest
And my old faded blue jeans
When you HEAR Tim McGraw
I hope you think of me

I know, right?!

I was taught you have to know the rules before you can break them.  If she knew the rules and thought this was a good way of breaking one, I would have to disagree.  I mean, I “think” I would have to disagree.  What do you “think?”  Do you “think” I’m over-reacting?  Do you “think” she chose wisely?  Do you “think” she noticed?  Do you “think” it even makes sense the way she wrote it?  Is my overuse of the word “think” getting on your nerves yet?

I am shocked and disappointed in the producers for allowing the word “think” to be used that way.  Where were her mentors?  Where were the people protecting her?  But then again, it was a top ten hit.  What do I know?

Question:  Ok, be honest, which version to you like better?  An award winning professional’s or a nobody hack?

2 comments:

Kayla Fioravanti said...

Where are her editors!? If I ever happen to hear this song I will be very annoyed with her poor grammar.

Dana said...

It has bugged me since the first time I heard it several years ago. I can't believe an experienced writer didn't change it. Other than that the song is fantastic lyrically just like all her other songs. Listening to her sends me back to my high school days.